[texhax] A question with regards to align*

Toby Cubitt tsc25 at cantab.net
Wed Apr 9 10:13:04 CEST 2008

Philip G. Ratcliffe wrote:
>> \renewcommand{\[}{\begin{align*}
>> \renewcommand{\]}{\end{align*}
>
> Argghhh!  This is not a good suggestion: LaTeX will bomb out on finding \[
> in the text because, as Lars said, \begin{align*} needs to find \end{align*}
> and it won't.  (Also both \renewcommand's here are missing a closing brace!)

Ah, sorry! I did say it was untested, but I should have been less lazy
and tested it before posting. I suppose one could try to make \[ look
for \], expand the latter once into \end{align*}, and the former once
into \begin{align*}. But it's a lot of work, and as others have said,
setting up an editor shortcut key sounds like a better solution.

Toby