[texhax] Which fink.org tex package needed for `srcltx.sty' ?

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Fri Sep 14 03:49:15 CEST 2007

On Sep 13, 2007, at 5:13 PM, Beverley Eyre wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that MaCTeX only outputs PDF (i.e. runs pdflatex
> only).

Not really ---present day LaTeX, in all platforms, uses pdfTeX as its
engine, but pdfTeX can output DVI as well as PDF.

In TeXLive 2007 for Mac OS X distribution (a.k.a. MacTeX) you get
TeXShop as a front-end. You can tell TeXShop to typeset using
``Pdftex'' (PDF output) or ``TeX and Ghostscript'', which outputs a
DVI, then uses dvips and then distills the PS using either
Ghostscript or Apple Distiller.

> Our lab at UCLA is trying to switch to Macs, and I was tasked with
> choosing the TeX/LaTeX installation. In the end, I chose to install
> the TexLive version as if it was a typical Unix OS (the mac unix is
> different than the typical unix OS) because it had stuff that
> MaCTeX didn't, as well as the ability to output dvi and ps, which
> has a better resolution than pdf.

As far as I know, TeXLive is the same for all platforms. MacTeX just
adds some utilities and a control panel to shift from one TeX
distribution to another without messing with your path. In one
machine I have, for example, Gerben Wierda's teTeX-based
distribution, GW's TeXLive-based distribution and MacTeX.

Best,

Axel