[texhax] How to write straight accents in TeX (not LaTeX!)

Pablo Mayckon pmsf at alu.dc.ufc.br
Fri Sep 7 22:45:34 CEST 2007

Hi!

Having been using LaTeX for more than two years, I have now decided to learn
TeX. I've just finished chapter 6 of the TeXbook.

But I'm from Brazil and I need to use accents quite often. When I used LaTeX,
that wasn't a problem, 'cause all I needed to do was to write
"\usepackage[latin9]{inputenc}". But now I'm in TeX and, as I expected, it
doesn't know what "\usepackage" is.

Could anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance!

Pablo Mayckon.

P.S.: As I tried to indicate in the subject of this message, I would like to
type accents in a straightforward manner, that is, "á" and not "\'a".