[texhax] [e]tex -ipc and -ipc-start

Tom Rokicki rokicki at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 09:48:05 CEST 2007

This is all ancient stuff.  In the days of the Amiga and the NeXT,
computers were slow enough where sometimes you had to
wait for TeX to finish typesetting your document before you
could view it.  I added some small hooks into TeX so that
information about each page being completed was sent out
a pipe to an external viewer, so you could (for instance) preview
the typeset content of page 49 while TeX continued working
on your 350 page document.

These days TeX will typeset that 350 page document before
your windowing system can even pop a window to the top of
the stack, so this functionality will probably remain in the
dustbin of history.

For your pipe, make TeX write a full dvi file and then just work
from there.  Disk is cheap and it's a much more straightforward
solution.

Check out golly at http://golly.sf.net/