[texhax] Minimizing the Minimalist Scheme

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Oct 20 23:35:06 CEST 2007

    Now, I am a minimalist ... to an extreme!

I guess so!

    How can I perform an installation
    that completely excludes these fonts?

As things stand, you'd have to change the way the LaTeX .fmt is created
by default -- standard LaTeX (and plain too) requires the tfm files for
the CM fonts.  You'd be creating your own custom format.

Also, you better not ever use math, since even with "Times & Helvetica"<
I bet some symbols are coming from the CM math fonts.  Even some text
symbols come from there, under some circumstances.

    structure I found references to CM fonts scattered all over the
    place so a simple delete will not work.

Having built the .fmt file, you could (re)move the fonts.

I expect most of the disk space is consumed with the pfb files; if you
truly never use the fonts, you could remove those and be no worse off.

Good luck.

karl