[texhax] graphics question

Donald Arseneau asnd at triumf.ca
Wed May 23 21:54:11 CEST 2007

"Diego L. Guarín" <dlguarin at gmail.com> writes:

> I have a question related to the treatment of the graphics in latex, in the
> WYSIWYG programs (word, open-office, etc..) u can put an image in the work
> space, send it to the
> background and then write over the image, to be more explicit i send a
> picture showing that i mean.

Picture.... hmmm...

> As far as i know in latex when u put a picture using
>
> \begin{figure}

No, that is how you get a floating "figure" object that makes room
for itself automatically where it will fit.

>   % Requires \usepackage{graphicx}
>   \includegraphics[width=10cm]{image}\\

Watch out for those control-characters you are randomly inserting.
Yes, you get an image using \includegraphics.

> latex separate a space that can only be occupied by the file name image, so
> it´s impossible to write over the image

The picture environment is the official (but clumsy) way to
overlay various pieces.

If you just want the image to occupy zero space, then you can put
(\put) it in a zero-zise picture environment or use:
\smash{\makebox[0pt][l]{\includegraphics { }}}

If you want a background image for the page, see the (UKTug) TeX FAQ,
and use a package (likely eso-pic).

Donald Arseneau                          asnd at triumf.ca