[texhax] Odd behavior of \check at mathfonts

Philip Taylor (Webmaster) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon May 14 16:37:23 CEST 2007

Michael Barr wrote:
> If you compile the following file

[snipped]
> you will see that there is a spurious indentation in the line following
> the first display, but not the second.  Is there a better way of getting
 > the mathfont recognized?

Here's my version, but it still uses an \hbox !
Philip Taylor
--------
\documentclass {article}
\newdimen \axis
\setbox 0 = \hbox {\makeatletter \check at mathfonts \makeatother}
\axis = \fontdimen 22 \textfont 2
\begin {document}

$$e = mc^2$$
xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx
xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx
xxx xxx
$$e = mc^2$$
xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx
xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx xxx
xxx xxx

\end {document}