[texhax] euro from gnumeric latex export

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Sun May 6 18:43:38 CEST 2007

I'm trying to use the latex export from gnumeric to include a table in
my latex document. I'd like to label a column with a euro symbol.
Although gnumeric will describe currenty in euros, the latex export
doesn't recognise it and replaces it by a question mark :-(

So I tried to use a text string \texteuro in the gnumeric cell. In one
of my tables, that generated an unknown command \backslacstexteuro, and
I was able to define this in my preamble to actually generate a euro
sign. However, in a virtually identical gnumeric spreadsheet, the export
plugin generated $\backslash$texteuro which then fails to get recognised
as a command. I suspect that this latter behaviour is actually the
intended one as far as gnumeric is concerned, as it generates latex that
will compile and faithfully treats every character in a string,
includine "\", as a string. I have noticed that the gnumeric export is
not always consistent in whether strings get surrounded by $'s or not.

In brief, does anyone have any experience in exporting a euro from
gnumeric and/or controlling how it handles backslashes and text?

Thanks
Steve

Professor Steven J Schwartz      Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Space and Atmospheric Physics    Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7772
The Blackett Laboratory          E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London          Office: Huxley 6M70
London SW7 2BW, U.K.             Web: http://www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs