[texhax] include graphicx

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Mar 14 22:23:14 CET 2007

  > a secondary problem is, if a .png file is available pdflatex
  > prefers it over the over the ray-traced .pdf file of the same
  > name. I recall there is a method for ordering graphic format
  > preference withing pdflatex, but cannot find now.

You can can re-define \DeclareGraphicsExtensions.  This is described
in

 http://ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/required/graphics/grfguide.pdf

By default the pdftex driver looks for .png first, which is a bit
unfortunate because vector graphics are preferred over bitmaps.

If there is a pdf and a png file, you can say:

\usepackage{ifpdf}
\ifpdf
   \renewcommand{\DeclareGraphicsExtensions}{.pdf,.mps,.png,.jbig2,.jpeg}
\fi

You have to do this after \usepackage{graphicx} because you want to
change its default behavior.

If some files are not found and if you have a Web2C based TeX system
(like teTeX, TeXLive, gwTeX, W32TeX) you can look into the kpathsea
documentation.  See section "Debugging".  I don't know whether MiKTeX
provides a debugging feature.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25