[texhax] Ab initio

Oleg Katsitadze olegkat at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 12:31:00 CET 2007

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 08:56:10AM -0600, John Stevens wrote:
> the MacTeX package for my new iMac with the Intel processor.

Sorry, can't help with this.

> As a retiree, I have no special typesetting needs at present but am
> more of a dilettante and would just like to try and learn this program.

There is plenty of documentation, both free and non-free, just go to

  http://tug.org/begin.html

Since, as you say, you are not in a hurry and don't have any specific
needs, I strongly recommend obtaining a copy of The TeXbook (a link is
on the above page).  It's not exactly a user guide / reference and is
quite a long read, but it's a must if you want to really understand /
learn how TeX works.  But be warned that it won't help you much in
_using_ LaTeX, if that's your (only) aim -- for that, you'll need some
LaTeX book.

> Should I join TUG?

You certainly don't have to, but much of the TeX-related software and
activities are sponsored entirely by members, so please consider
joining if you like TeX and/or find it useful.

> Is the iMac .dmg file available on disk for a fee or must I down-load
> it?

Sorry, can't help.

> What instructional / training  documentation is available and from
> where ?

See the link above.

Hope this helps,
Oleg