[texhax] How can I "condense" or "narrow" an existing font?

Fehd, Ronald J. (CDC/CCHIS/NCPHI) rjf2 at CDC.GOV
Fri Feb 23 00:24:48 CET 2007

> From: Niall Mansfield <texhax at uit.co.uk>
> I am typesetting material that contains many code examples
> and program output listings, some of which are very wide.
> I have to use a monospaced font.
>
> If I just reduce the text size, it becomes almost unreadable,
> and anyway the main problem is the width, not the length.
>
> 1. Can I somehow transform the standard courier font so that it
>     is say, X percent narrower, without reducing its height?
>
> 2. Or, is there a good, free, narrow/condensed monospaced
>     font available?
>
> 	Thanks,
> 	Niall
>
> ps: I have looked through the LaTeX Companion and
>      www.tex.ac.uk but can't see what I need.

I do not have an answer for you on the condensed font
but I use
\usepackage{fancyvrb}
\fvset{frame=single,numbers=left}
              ,firstline=\FirstLine,lastline=#1]
for my papers where I echo both program text and logs.
Here is an example:
http://www.pnwsug.com/Conference_2006/Procedings/PNWSUGotherfiles/PN12Fe
hdSQL.pdf

I place the VerbatimInput inside a minipage

\renewcommand{\EchoTextWidth}{0.94\textwidth}%

%\hfill%for flush right
\begin{minipage}[t]{\EchoTextWidth}%line numbers are inside margin
\VerbatimInput[label=MyProgram.sas]%
%             ,firstline=13,lastline=88]%
              {MyProgram.sas}%filename.ext
\end{minipage}

My solution is to occasionally change the font size
from default of small to footnotesize

%      %\fvset{fontsize=\tiny}
%      %\fvset{fontsize=\scriptsize}
%      %\fvset{fontsize=\footnotesize}
%       \fvset{fontsize=\small}

My conference has changed their style sheet from two-column
to 'single'-column since they began publishing
their proceedings exclusively on CD.
As shown in the above paper, I change minipage widths of text,
program text and log to whatever I need to show.

Ron Fehd  the {SAS} macro maven  CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov