[texhax] How can I "condense" or "narrow" an existing font?

Niall Mansfield texhax at uit.co.uk
Thu Feb 22 18:30:45 CET 2007

I am typesetting material that contains many code examples
and program output listings, some of which are very wide.
I have to use a monospaced font.

If I just reduce the text size, it becomes almost unreadable,
and anyway the main problem is the width, not the length.

1. Can I somehow transform the standard courier font so that it
    is say, X percent narrower, without reducing its height?

2. Or, is there a good, free, narrow/condensed monospaced
    font available?

	Thanks,
	Niall

ps: I have looked through the LaTeX Companion and
     www.tex.ac.uk but can't see what I need.