[texhax] old script font

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Thu Dec 20 18:58:11 CET 2007

Phillip E. Parker wrote:

>>On Dec 20, 2007, at 1:18 AM, Phillip E. Parker wrote:
>>

>>>Ther is an old script font that was popular in math books published
>>>in the 50s, 60s, and at least into the early 70s. Example letters
>>>"B", "T", "U", "A", and a few others can be seen in Kelley's
>>>Genreal Topology (e.g., p.46 has "B" and "T"). It is also found in
>>>Simmons's Topology and Modern Analysis, Baum's Elementary Topology,
>>>and the table of contents (but not the text!) of Rickert's Banach
>>>Algebras.
>>>
>>>How do I find out what font this is, and whether a form suitable
>>>for use with LaTeX exists?

See if your library has a copy of Rookledge's International Type-Finder.

Christopher Perfect & Gordon Rookledge, (PBC International: New York 1983)

It isn't perfect, but it is pretty good on typefaces from just the
period you are interested in.

Once you have the name of the font, you will still have to see whether
there is a Type1 (or---sigh---a TrueType) version of it, but at least
you will have something to start from.

Pierre MacKay