[texhax] old script font

Matthew Leingang leingang at math.harvard.edu
Thu Dec 20 14:06:25 CET 2007

On Dec 20, 2007, at 1:18 AM, Phillip E. Parker wrote:

> Ther is an old script font that was popular in math books published
> in the 50s, 60s, and at least into the early 70s. Example letters
> "B", "T", "U", "A", and a few others can be seen in Kelley's
> Genreal Topology (e.g., p.46 has "B" and "T"). It is also found in
> Simmons's Topology and Modern Analysis, Baum's Elementary Topology,
> and the table of contents (but not the text!) of Rickert's Banach
> Algebras.
>
> How do I find out what font this is, and whether a form suitable
> for use with LaTeX exists?

Dear Phil,

You might get more people to see your example if you scan the page
and post it to a website like photobucket.com or imageshack.us.  The
Kelley and Simmons books where missing from our library, the Baum was
not in our catalog, but I did find the Rickart [1].  I guess you're
looking for the font of the "B" in the line "A.1.1. The algebras B
(X) ..."

I thought I had seen a script font like this; but I seem to be
mistaken.  I looked in the LaTeX Font Catalogue [2] and the
comprehensive symbol guide [3], but I didn't find anything like it.
Maybe some of the font experts know.

If you're looking for the font used in the Rickart text (like on page
278), then the mathrsfs package and the \mathscr command work pretty
well.

--Matt

[1] http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/leingang_math/?
action=view&current=Scan.jpg