[texhax] latex.fmt not found

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Dec 19 21:09:47 CET 2007

Huang Jifeng writes:
 > After I had installed TexLive2007 to the disk under the instructions
 > in live.pdf, I met a bug when running the program latex:
 >
 > linux-jf:/data/instructions_of_GPR # latex live.tex
 > This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
 >  %&-line parsing enabled.
 > kpathsea: Running mktexfmt latex.fmt
 > I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!

The first thing to do is to find out whether the format file is
created successfully.  Since mktexfmt is not very verbose you better
create it manually:

  texconfig init latex

If this works and latex.fmt can't still be found, run texhash.

If this solves your problem then please run

   kpsewhich texmf.cnf

which tells you which config file is used and then send me this file.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25