[texhax] (no subject)

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Tue Dec 18 19:02:59 CET 2007

Izzie Weinzweig wrote:

> How can you convert a pdf file or a tiff file to a LaTeX file?
>
> Prof. A.I. Weinzweig

The only general approach is to extract the raw text (a built in in
capacity in some PDFs, a job for optical character recognition in TIFF)
and then insert the necessary LaTeX commands.  PDF has almost no concept
of logical structure, and TIFF has none at all.  Logical structure is
something you have to apply yourself if you start with the absence of
logical structure.  I suppose you could derive paragraphs, headers,
quotation and annotation blocks from the appearance of a PDF by some
fairly shaky heuristics, but I wouldn't want to count on it.  Even RTF,
even it its present bloated and top-heavy form gives you a better start.

Pierre MacKay