[texhax] Graphics problem

Donald Arseneau asnd at triumf.ca
Fri Dec 14 23:58:43 CET 2007

"Loeghmon T. Nejad" <loeghmon at gmail.com> writes:

> title-author-date area in an article, but the image is placed half (or
> more) outside the printing area, chopped, and sized oddly. Can one
> please tell me what I am doing wrong?

> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}       ***************
> \title{test figure}
> \author{self}
> \maketitle
> \begin{document}
> this is text.\\
> \begin{figure}[htp]
> \centering
> \includegraphics[height=4cm]{/data/readables/charles.jpg}
> \caption{charles}\label{fig:celtic}
> \end{figure}

Don't you get an error for \maketitle before \begin{document}?

Don't you get an error for feeding jpeg to dvips?

Don't you get terrible images by scaling a bitmap image not by
small-integer ratios?

You probably get an error message about a missing bounding box,
so laTeX doesn't know the proper size of the image.  If you *do*
supply bounding box information, it may be wrong.

Donald Arseneau                          asnd at triumf.ca