[texhax] framing tables

George Georgalis george at galis.org
Tue Aug 14 01:25:05 CEST 2007

I'm looking for a way to frame tables, to set them off the main text.

With quite a few tables (table, not tabular) of only a line or two

\begin{table}
\begin{verbatim}
ifconfig -a
netstat -finet -nr | grep UGH | awk '{print $1}'
\end{verbatim}
\caption{Determine host address, two methods shown}
\label{tab:address}
\end{table}

and which make use of verbatim so the enclosed unix commands (ie
special latex characters) don't need escaping, the problem is the
table and caption do not stand out from the body text, making them
hard to locate.

I looked at colortbl, with the idea to set my table background to
90% gray; but that only seems to work in tabular which I'm not
using.

Hopefully I won't need the complexity of tabular. table with
verbatim is otherwise perfect.  I'm open a rectangle surrounding
my table, colored background or some other way to make them stand
out. Any suggestions?

// George

--
George Georgalis, information system scientist <IXOYE><