[texhax] Problem with Mac Installation of Bluesky CM/PS Fonts

Brian O'Toole Brian.O.Toole at mathworks.com
Wed Aug 8 21:27:23 CEST 2007

Hello All,

I wonder whether any of you have seen this or I am following an incorrect
installation procedure for the Bluesky CM/PS Fonts on the Macintosh.

I downloaded cmps-textures.hqx from
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/cm/ps-type1/bluesky/ in order to
examine the Computer Modern Fonts and LaTeX Fonts in standard Macintosh Type
1 format.  I have repeated the following experiment on two Macintosh
computers, with the following info:

Macintosh #1: Mac OS X, Version 10.3.8
Processor: Dual 1 GHz PowerPC G4
Memory: 1 GB DDR SDRAM

Macintosh #2: Mac OS X, Version 10.4.9
Processor: 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo
Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I unpacked cmps-textures.hqx into "CM/PS for Textures.sit" and used StuffIt
to expand "CM/PS for Textures.sit" into the three directories "AFM", "CM PS
outlines", and "CM screen".

In the directory "CM screen" were the two files "CM/PS screen fonts" and
"LaTeX screen fonts", each in FFIL format with the appropriate icon.

In the directory "CM PS outlines" were a total of 94 font files (such as
CMR10, CMSY10, ., LASY8.), each in LWFN format with the appropriate icon.

I copied both FFIL files from "CM screen" and the 94 LWFN files from "CM PS
outlines" to the Library/Font subdirectory of my user home directory.

I rebooted the computer, and logged in with my user id, and opened up "Font
Book".

In the "All Fonts" category, I now see both the "Computer Modern" and
 "LaTeX" font families, as I had hoped.

However, when I expand the "Computer Modern" font family, I see the
following list, where "Plain" is repeated 80 times (75 times for the CM*
fonts and 5 times for the LOGO* fonts):

        Computer Modern
                Plain
                Plain
                Plain
                Plain

When I expand the "LaTeX" font family, I see the following list (note that
there should be 14 LaTeX fonts):

        LaTeX
                LCIRCLEW10
                LINEW10
                LASY10
                LASYB10
                LCIRCLE10
                LINE10
                Plain
                Plain
                Plain
                Plain
                Plain

When I click on each of the 80 fonts under "Computer Modern", the preview
pane looks correct (I see the Sample, Repertoire, or Custom previews
correctly), and the name of each font appears correctly below the preview
pane.  When I double-click on each of the 80 fonts under "Computer Modern",
the dialog that pops up indicates that the font is "installed" but shows a
style of "Plain".

It seems as though there is some corruption, or perhaps the Style field of
each font is set to "Plain" rather than its name.  The problem is that when
I call GetAllFonts in my Java AWT GraphicsEnvironment, all of the Computer
Modern Plain fonts are considered duplicates, and so only one of them (the
first alphabetically) is available to my Java apps.

I am stumped.  Do you have any idea what may be wrong?

Thanks and best regards,
Brian O'Toole
Plotting & Exploration Group
The MathWorks