[texhax] Metafont: editing CM source files

Rodolfo Medina rodolfo.medina at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 16:26:18 CEST 2007

I tried to post the present message to the metafont mailing list
(metafont at ens.fr), but it seems to be not active any more: if there's one,
please can anyone indicate it?

Thanks

Hi.

I wanted to edit cmr12.mf to see what happens.
So I copied the original file into a work directory, changed its name and ran
metafont on it:

 $ mf my-cmr12.mf
 $ gftopk my-cmr12.2602gf

. Then, in my-file.tex I put:

\font\myfont=my-cmr12

\myfont

Hallo

\vfill\eject\end

, and then I do:

 $ tex my-file

. Now, the changes I do in my-cmr12.mf seem to produce no effect at all in the
my-file.dvi output file.  For example, if I change the 12pt size into 50pt, in
the dvi file the characters are always 12pt small.

Can anyone explain why?  What am I missing?
Please pardon the basicness of the question.

Thanks,
Rodolfo