[texhax] Passing Underscore

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Sep 21 23:24:21 CEST 2006

  > Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

  >> Nobody forces you to use double quotes.  TeX still works as it
  >> did 20 years ago.  Why do we need a TeX parser to process
  >> filenames?

  > We don't.  But we do need to know how TeX operates, and in this
  > context it is a many-layered operation.  Scanning, parsing and
  > tokenization all take place, as do execution and expansion, and
  > [...]

Yes, you are right.  Sorry for the noise.

  > It would be a severe bug if the documentation said this would work
  > and it did not, but that is not the case. As it stands, this is a
  > documented limitation: multiple consecutive spaces are always
  > collapsed into one.

I must admit that I didn't read the documentation.  Maybe I should do
this next time before trying myself.

  > *\def\space{ }
  > *\input "a\space\space\space b"
  > ! I can't find file `"a   b.tex"'.

Seems that I had been wrong when I said that those files are not
accessible.

  > The syntax with quotes already excludes legal file names on many
  > file systems and operating systems, where quotes are legal
  > characters in file names. Therefore the quote extension isn't a
  > refinement of \input's syntax. It would be much better to have
  > separate primitives that uses <general text> for file names as
  > done in \pdfximage.
  > [...]

Yes, that would be nice.

It would be nice to have additional primitives which behave similar as
\openin and \openout too, but simply do what they are told to do.

    \newwrite\make
    \openout\make=Makefile

creates Makefile.tex.

Thanks to everyone who replied.