[texhax] Passing Underscore

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Sep 20 00:18:31 CEST 2006

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>   > Very interesting, although I usually rename all those (IMO silly)
>   > Windows type filenames with spaces in them.
>
> I do so as well.  It's more a GUI than a Windows problem.
>
>   > Now what about two spaces in a row? Just curious.
>
> I tried and it seems that there is a severe bug in pdftex.
>
>      \input "foo    bar"
>
> loads the file "foo bar.tex" which is certainly not desired behavior.

Well, it may not be "desired", but it's certainly consistent with
TeX's underlying scanner/parser, which will have already elided
multiple spaces into a single space before \input gets
a chance to see things.  If you change TeX's behaviour here,
you really are getting away from TeX as a consistent platform,
and in grave danger of creating a chimera, which I don't think
is actually your intention or your desire ...

** Phil.