[texhax] Collection for social sciences and the humanities for TeXLive 2006

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Fri Sep 15 23:48:02 CEST 2006

At 09:27 15.09.06, Phil Parker wrote:

>On 09/14/2006 at 12:49 AM, Uwe Lück <uwe.lueck at web.de> wrote:
>
> >... and incidentally I just studied the comprehensive list of symbols.
> >Besides ancient fonts, there are `Mayan Digits' (etc. ...) which I can't
> >imagine to be used outside archeology or history nowadays ...
>
>Mayan numerals are commonly used in math history books (a separate academic
>discipline from "regular" history, usually located in math departments, for
>example) and in many types of inservice, enrichment, and even standard
>preparatory courses for secondary math teachers (at least in the US). The old
>"math appreciation for liberal arts" books also almost always included them.
>
>Math is actually an art, is commonly classified as a science, and would never
>be allowed as one of the humanities (at least, by them).

Thanks, interesting ... but now, if history of math/medicine/science
is math/medicine/science (rather than history), one may question
whether critical editions are humanity-specific. I am currently
supporting two volumes of the German Nicolaus-Copernicus Edition
with ednotes, sometimes advising for critical editions of medieval
(Arab) texts on math and astronomy, having experts for history of
medicine around me.

Hope this puzzles ;-)

Uwe Lück.