[texhax] Collection for social sciences and the humanities for TeXLive 2006

Phil Parker phil at math.wichita.edu
Fri Sep 15 09:27:19 CEST 2006

On 09/14/2006 at 12:49 AM, Uwe Lück <uwe.lueck at web.de> wrote:

>... and incidentally I just studied the comprehensive list of symbols.
>Besides ancient fonts, there are `Mayan Digits' (etc. ...) which I can't
>imagine to be used outside archeology or history nowadays ...

Mayan numerals are commonly used in math history books (a separate academic
discipline from "regular" history, usually located in math departments, for
example) and in many types of inservice, enrichment, and even standard
preparatory courses for secondary math teachers (at least in the US). The old
"math appreciation for liberal arts" books also almost always included them.

Math is actually an art, is commonly classified as a science, and would never
be allowed as one of the humanities (at least, by them).

--
    Phil Parker
URL http://www.math.wichita.edu/~pparker/