[texhax] tabbing in macros [\outer, Plain TeX]

Barbara Beeton bnb at ams.org
Thu Sep 14 15:46:38 CEST 2006

uwe said, regarding the texbook,

    I'm adding `Plain TeX' to the subject because a question
    on documentation arises here -- which was in another thread
    recently [namely ... sorry, not finding]. Wrongly here in-as-much
    that The TeXbook seems to suffice another time.
    I have realized or heard or thought that sometimes the
    TeXbook doesn't tell everything (the exact algorithm,
    or what macro some primitive abbreviates [thinking on \accent])
    [...]

this is explained in the preface to the texbook --
that it sometimes lies.  look in the index; there
are two entries for "lies".  the second, on p.303,
is the final exercise:

  Find all of the lies in this manual, and all of
  the jokes.

that could take more time than anyone realistically
has.  but knowing that lies and jokes exist in the
book makes for some good "aha" moments when one
recognizes such a lie or joke for the first time.
							-- bb