[texhax] if you are forced to send it in MS Word ... ?!

Jonathan Fine J.Fine at open.ac.uk
Mon Sep 11 15:29:52 CEST 2006

"John R. Culleton" <john at wexfordpress.com> wrote in message

> The third version is the most troublesome. It is in ASCII for
> those few who cannot handle a pdf file. I need a way to convert
> the file to ASCII yet retain formatting including tables etc.
> Today I use something like ps2ascii or pstotext and then
> manually reformat the reults in an editor. But a dvi to ascii processor
> that could preserve the gross charateristics of the layout would
> be most helpful, and also help fulfill the original mission of the
> dvi format.

If you use
    \tracingoutput = 1
    \showboxbreadth = \maxdimen
    \showboxdepth = \maxdimen
then you will get oodles of information, including the
table formatting.

If I were writing a 'low-level TeX output' to ascii
processor from scratch, I would use this output, and
not the dvi output, as the starting point.

This, of course, does not help you with the newsletter,
which is probably wanted soon.

--
Jonathan