[texhax] if you are forced to send it in MS Word ... ?!

John R. Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sat Sep 9 16:28:37 CEST 2006

On Friday 08 September 2006 14:46, Torsten Wagner wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I know, it was discussed more then once already and normally it end ups
> in heavy flaming ;)
> However, let me start from another point of view. This situation happens
> to all of us (La)TeX-user sometimes. You prepare a document in (La)TeX
> and send it as PDF or PS or even DVI to the editorial team, your
> colleagues, friends or to someone else.
>
> For some (please do not discusses on that point) reason, they ask you to
> send it in MS Word format. I had hundreds of this discussions already
> and believe me, you can not convenience everyone to learn (La)TeX to do
> slightly changings on your documents and sometimes you are not in the
> position to deny the request (e.g., the counterpart is your supervisor,
> boss, wife ;), etc.).

I have a similar but slightly different need. Using Context I
prepare a newsletter. The printed version (run off on my
computer) is in pamphlet form, 5.5 x 8.5 on 8.5 x 11 for stapling
and mailing. Context does this sort of thing internally. The
second edition, for internet posting is 8.5 x 11 for easy
downloading and printing on a home computer. Multiple versions
from the same source are possible in Context

The third version is the most troublesome. It is in ASCII for
those few who cannot handle a pdf file. I need a way to convert
the file to ASCII yet retain formatting including tables etc.
Today I use something like ps2ascii or pstotext and then
manually reformat the reults in an editor. But a dvi to ascii processor
that could preserve the gross charateristics of the layout would
be most helpful, and also help fulfill the original mission of the
dvi format.

--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting