[texhax] adding boldface to \tt

Oleg Katsitadze olegkat at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 11:55:03 CEST 2006

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 01:35:43PM -0400, George Georgalis wrote:
> >  \font\twelvebtt = cmtt8 at 12.7pt
[...]
> I didn't know about that syntax

Keep in mind that this is "primitive" TeX, that is, TeX's
"assembler", so if you use it with LaTeX, you are at best
not going to get all the font handling support LaTeX
provides.

> but for my very few examples of command line text in documentation.
> I'm going with cmttb10.

Beware that this is a bitmap font, not an outline (Type1)
font.  If you're only going to print the document, that's
fine, but if you want an electronic document to be viewed on
screen, it will be ugly with most viewers.

> find /usr/pkg/share/texmf-dist/fonts/ -name \*mf | grep tt | sort
>
> Is there a better way to find what's installed?

There was just recently a thread on this on comp.text.tex:

  http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/browse_thread/thread/5331378e5613d051/b9f2ed37c12d53ee

Diego Torquemada points to this fine article:

> In any event, thanks a lot for the \font tip.

You're welcome :).

Best,
Oleg