[texhax] adding boldface to \tt

George Georgalis george at galis.org
Fri Oct 27 19:35:43 CEST 2006

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 01:38:42PM +0300, Oleg Katsitadze wrote:
>On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 10:51:39AM -0400, George Georgalis wrote:
>> What is the best way to make \tt display in boldface as well as
>> typewriter style?
>
>There is a FAQ entry on this:
>
>  http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=bold-extras

Oh.

>but it doesn't help if you need Computer Modern Type 1 bold
>tt.  If you do need this, you might try scaling cmtt8 to a
>bigger size -- this will give some boldness to it compared
>to the "normal" tt font at that size.  In practice this
>seems to only work when you scale cmtt8 to match a 12pt
>size:
>
>  \font\twelvebtt = cmtt8 at 12.7pt
>
>looks a little bolder than cmtt12.  Of course, this is ugly
>for any "real" typesetting, but if you just need to put a
>couple of bold tt words inside your section heading, this
>might be better than nothing.

I didn't know about that syntax, thanks. And that is quite good,
but for my very few examples of command line text in documentation.
I'm going with cmttb10.

Of course I spent far too much time arriving at that decision... this was
the best I could do at coming up with what tt fonts I have available

find /usr/pkg/share/texmf-dist/fonts/ -name \*mf | grep tt | sort

Is there a better way to find what's installed?

In any event, thanks a lot for the \font tip.

// George