[texhax] TeX/UNIX

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Oct 24 02:05:05 CEST 2006

  > Hello.  We have some plain TeX files on our UNIX system. Within
  > the file, we have tried to input another file using an environment
  > variable, for example \input $tx/bookdef. TeX is unable to find
  > the file, though LaTeX is. Do you know if there has been a change
  > in Plain TeX, making it unable to read these variables? Thank you
  > very much for your time and consideration.

Hi,
I can't reproduce your problem:

 | $ touch $HOME/foo
 | $ tex '\relax\input $HOME/foo \end'
 | This is TeX, Version 3.141592 (Web2C 7.5.5)
 | (/home/reinhard/foo)
 | No pages of output.
 | Transcript written on foo.log.

Obviously "$HOME" has been expanded to "/home/reinhard" and the file
had been included.

Please note that after the filename a space is required.

LaTeX's \input command allows you to use either LaTeX or plain TeX
syntax:

  \input{foo.bar}  %% preferred in LaTeX

or

  \input foo.bar  %% A space token denotes the end of the filename.

However, it is certainly easier to find out what is going wrong if you
send us your .log file.  Maybe something had been changed some time
ago.  I remember that it had been discussed on a mailing list but I
don't remember any details.

BTW., it would be nice if you can tell your mail program to avoid
HTML.  Nobody needs it but it blows up hundreds of mailboxes and the
list server has to deliver the needless stuff to hundreds of people...

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25