[texhax] Greek in LaTeX

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Tue Oct 10 21:07:47 CEST 2006

At 15:50 09.10.06, N.J.I. Mars wrote:

>I am trying to set a few words of Greek, in an English-language document:
>---
>\documentclass{book}
>\usepackage[greek,english]{babel}
>\usepackage{teubner}
>\begin{document}
>Latin text. \textgreek{abcdefg}
>Does this work in footnotes, though?\footnote{English and Greek:
>\textgreek{abcdefg}.}
>\end{document}
>---
>Uisng MikTeX 2.5, what I get is the Latin text correct, but the Greek in
>(Latin) typescript letters. What do I do wrong?

I have answered Nicolaas' almost same question dating from
August 31 this year on Sep 1 pointing to a solution that I prefer
-- not knowing about teubner. I still don't know.

Moreover, on

     http://tug.org/pipermail/texhax/

you find postings dating from September 2005 on
"greek symbols and accents" by Pierre MacKay
and myself, explaining the problem and offering
ibycus4 and greektex

     http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/greek/greektex

as solutions. (I must admit that I haven't scrutinized greektex
for working with footnotes, but Yannis Moschovakis is a great
mathematician and thus can't have overlooked this problem.)
I recommend not to use babel for the case of a few Greek
words -- babel loads so many files, and I have had or learnt
about weird problems that babel introduces.

Pierre MacKay has posted another remark on ibycus4 here
for subject "collection ...".

Best,

Uwe.