[texhax] How to do the following ?

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Oct 5 08:39:57 CEST 2006

Martin Schröder wrote:

> I'll bite: A solution for LaTeX users. LaTeX users know nothing about
> streams and they are happy with that. They want things to just work
> and not to learn the innards of TeX. And they want high-level
> solutions. \usepackage[bar]{foo} ist highly preferred from multiline
> plain commands.

I think that your attitude here is at the core of our
disagreement : you believe that LaTeX users are interested
only in solutions to their immediate problem(s), I credit
them with a little intelligence and believe that they are
interested in how/why things work.  We may never agree on
this, but unless people such as myself offer them some
insight into the underlying mechanisms, what hope have
they of ever becoming package writers in their own right ?

** P.