[texhax] [tex-live] How to do the following?

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Oct 3 18:48:31 CEST 2006

David Kastrup wrote:
> Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> writes:
>
>> OK, I'll test, but your scenario reads oddly to me :
>> why would you use the verb "LaTeX", which explicitly
>> loads the LaTeX format, when you want to load another
>> format ?
>
> Because I want to use something like "mylatex.ltx" in order to shorten
> the load time, while still getting the search paths and, necessarily,
> executable used by LaTeX itself.

Well what executable do you think it should load ?  Is there
an "IniLaTeX" in the TeX Live 2005 distribution ?  Is there indeed
a "LaTeX" executable at all ?  Under XP, all of the following
launch PdfeTeXK :

	TeX
	eTeX
	LaTeX
	PdfLaTeX

and all of the following launch PdfeTeXK (IniTeX) :

	TeX -ini
	eTeX -ini
	LaTeX -ini
	PdfLaTeX -ini

Which is not to say I can't replicate your problem, but
I am less than convinced that "LaTeX -ini &<format>" is
a meaningful incantation ...

** P.