[texhax] Converting LaTeX files into MS Word
Fehd, Ronald J. (CDC/CCHIS/NCPHI)
rjf2 at cdc.gov
Wed Nov 22 20:20:05 CET 2006
From: peralta <peralta at cc.usu.edu>
> I am about to begin writing a book for a publisher.
> The publisher says they prefer to receive
> the text
you probably want to seek some more clarification on what they mean by 'text'
> via MS Word files.
> I will have many equations,
> and was considering using LaTeX,
consider using pdfLaTeX
to produce a .pdf
> which I have downloaded and explored.
> From the FAQs,
> I believe there is no conversion program available
> that can convert complicated documents
> created on LaTeX into MS Word.
others have already addressed that issue.
my only comment is: words as text are not a document.
> Is that correct? If so, I will not use LaTeX.
you should consider searching the texhax archives
for similar threads.
Reasons I, as a book author, chose LaTeX over MS Word
* I had five years typesetting experience
* I have 15 years programming experience
* I use a professional text editor
* MS campaigns around other issues of FUD: Fear, Uncertainly, Doubt:
Was it 44 pages, or filesize=44KB
when MS Word -might- crash?
and take your document and your backups with it?
** anecdotes from friends who are technical writers
** Word to Wise: keep it small and back up often
* document assembly of separate (usually chapter) files:
* learning Word's Master Document is a learning curve in its own right
* learning to use LaTeX \input and \include is easy, and simple
* value added by LaTeX
*yes, can be done in Word, yeahBut
* page numbering,
* section, subsection, etc. and equation numbering
* table of contents
* see also minitoc for chapter and section ToC
* list of tables and figures
you do know that TeX was written expressly for typesetting equations?
> Richard Peralta
> Utah State Univ.
do you know Nelson Beebe?
are you interested in seeking a publisher
who wishes to have text in xml?
Ron Fehd the LaTeX maven
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 7362 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://tug.org/pipermail/texhax/attachments/20061122/15590da5/attachment.bin
More information about the texhax