[texhax] tabular and page breaks

George Georgalis george at galis.org
Mon Nov 20 21:30:09 CET 2006

I have a basic tabular environment,

\begin{tabular*}{\textwidth}{lp{4.75in}@{\extracolsep{\fill}}}

this makes two columns, first a word list, second
for definitions.  However it is about 110% of page
length---so that's a problem.

I'm starting to try tabbing, however that yields

|-----------------------textwidth-----------------------|
word a		abcd abcd abcd abcd abcd abcd abcd abcd abcd abcd abcd abcd abcd

when I really need the tabular, with paragraph box, rendering

word a		abcd abcd abcd abcd abcd abcd abcd abcd
		abcd abcd abcd abcd abcd

I was thinking of making the definition part
a paragraph box in \tabbing(if possible), but I feel I'm
over-engineering. Is there a better way to make a
definition list to span pages, where multi-line
definitions are aligned in one column?

// George