[texhax] Best way to include article.cls

Michael Barr mbarr at math.mcgill.ca
Mon Nov 6 15:02:45 CET 2006

I am trying to update our journal's class file.  Till now, we have been
using the file made for latex 2.09, making the fewest changes required for
it to run in latex 2e.  I would like to start by including article.cls.
What is the best way to do this?  I assume you could do
\include{article.cls} but I want to enable the 12 pt option.  And I see
that you have to set the options you want somehow.  Or I could just start
our class file with the article.cls file and choose the options in the
class file.  But then I want the 12pt clo file.  And I want to add a new
option
\DeclareOption{compromisepaper}
   {\setlength\paperheight {11.5in}%
    \setlength\paperwidth  {8.25in}}

Is there any general advice on how to do this?

Michael Barr