[texhax] math notation

Michael Barr mbarr at math.mcgill.ca
Wed May 10 20:00:48 CEST 2006

"d" is an operator, but a constant operator (I never intended "constant"
to refer only to numerical constant).  As far as I am concerned i is a
number, exactly as much of a one as -1.  But all of "i", "e", "d" are
constants.  But can you imagine a variable d and \int_0^1f(d)\diff d?

Incidentally, one of my pet peeves is that the d in mit leans so far to
the right that it interferes with superscripts.  I use d^? all the time
for face operators in a simplicial object.  I suppose I could use an
upright d, but I don't in accordance with the principle enunciated in my
original post.