[texhax] upgrade of PSTricks documentation

Tom Schneider toms at ncifcrf.gov
Wed May 3 05:44:25 CEST 2006

Herbert:

> Tom Schneider wrote:
>
> > I was reading in the PSTricks User's Guide (12 March 1993 Version
> > 0.93a) at
> >
> > http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~msuder/latex/pstricks.pdf
> >
> > which is pointed to from the Tug site on the page
> >
> > Welcome to the PSTricks web site
> > http://tug.org/PSTricks/main.cgi?file=docs
> >
> > On page 20 I found a puzzling inconsistency.  FORTUNATELY I noticed
> > the 'Doc errors' link on the above page, and it explains the
> > documentation error.
> >
> > Could the maintainers of this package please incorporate the known
> > documentation errors into the document?  It's been 13 years ...
>
> feel free, the sources are available ...
> Unless nobody volunteers, it will never be happened.

Ok, ...

I bumbled around and eventually found something at CTAN.

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/graphics/pstricks/generic/#jhae39ed045926e54229e34e392a429a1f

Directory: CTAN home /  tex-archive/  graphics/  pstricks/  generic

from which I got the pstricks.tex file:

wget ftp://tug.ctan.org/pub/tex-archive/graphics/pstricks/generic/pstricks.tex

When I ran latex on that it said I needed pstricks.con:

wget ftp://tug.ctan.org/pub/tex-archive/graphics/pstricks/generic/pstricks.con

This hung.

This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.30.3-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
entering extended mode
(./pstricks.tex
LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
Babel <v3.8g> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax, dumylang, noh
yphenation, basque, bulgarian, coptic, welsh, czech, slovak, german, ngerman, d
anish, spanish, catalan, estonian, finnish, french, greek, monogreek, ancientgr
eek, croatian, hungarian, interlingua, ibycus, indonesian, icelandic, italian,
latin, mongolian, dutch, norsk, polish, portuguese, pinyin, romanian, russian,
slovene, uppersorbian, serbian, swedish, turkish, ukenglish, ukrainian, loaded.

`PSTricks' v1.14a  <2006/02/06> (tvz)
(./pstricks.con))
*

Now what?  Is this the right place?  What files are needed (etc)?

Also, why is the pstricks.tex file dated 2006-02-07?  Doesn't that
mean it is up to date at CTAN?  Maybe it's just not up to date
in the
   http://tug.org/PSTricks/main.cgi?file=docs
page?

Tom

  Dr. Thomas D. Schneider
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Center for Cancer Research Nanobiology Program
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms at ncifcrf.gov
  permanent email: toms at alum.mit.edu (use only if first address fails)