[texhax] pagestyle{empty}

Martin Schröder martin at oneiros.de
Wed Mar 29 21:09:22 CEST 2006

On 2006-03-29 16:16:38 +0200, Vincenzo Aversa wrote:
> In the following file I was unable to avoid numbering of the first page (the others are OK).
> Il it a bug of LaTeX or mine?

Check your documentation and read the FAQ.

<qoute src="http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=ps@empty">
\pagestyle{empty} on first page in LaTeX

If you use \pagestyle{empty}, but the first page is numbered
anyway, you are probably using the \maketitle command too. The
behaviour is not a bug but a feature. The standard LaTeX classes
are written so that initial pages (pages containing a \maketitle,
\part, or \chapter) have a different page style from the rest of
the document; to achieve this, the commands internally issue
\thispagestyle{plain}. This is usually not acceptable behaviour
if the surrounding page style is 'empty'.

Possible workarounds include:

    * Put \thispagestyle{empty} immediately after the \maketitle
      command, with no blank line between them.
    * Use the fancyhdr or scrpage2 packages, which allow you to
      customise the style for initial pages independently of that
      for body pages.

      For example, use fancyhdr commands:

\fancypagestyle{plain}{%
  \fancyhf{}%
  \renewcommand{\headrulewidth}{0pt}%
  \renewcommand{\footrulewidth}{0pt}%
}

      and the "empty" page style (invoked by \chapter commands
      and title pages) will have no header or footer.
</quote>

[...]

> {\bf Key Words}: elliptic equations, embedding theorems, a priori bounds, weighted spaces,

Please get a new book on LaTeX. The \bf command has been
deprecated for more than a decade.

Best
    Martin
--