[texhax] A different hyperref question

Aethon aethon at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 03:44:24 CEST 2006

On 3/26/06, Michael Barr <mbarr at math.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> But this did not happen until I added the dvipdfm option.  Besides, it is
> important that the two versions be identical.  The only link necessary is
> to the section number, not the section header.

I think you misunderstand. The problem is that when hyperref creates
links, it also compiles bookmarks to the sections. These are plain
text, and understood by a PDF rendering program. They cannot contain
math symbols, different colors, font changes or the like. Your warning
says these are being used in the section titles. Using the
texorpdfstring command I posted allows you to choose a plain text
version of the section title for use in the bookmark. This does not
change the document at all. All it changes is the text used in the
bookmark that can only be viewed in the PDF rendering program.

Also keep texhax at tug.org in either the to or cc so that others can benefit.