[texhax] atchange

Novak Elliott N.S.J.Elliott at warwick.ac.uk
Thu Mar 23 10:04:02 CET 2006

Hi all,

my problem wasn't any of what came up on the discussion - it turned out
to be just the format of the text file I was executing.  I downloaded
the script on a PC then copied to my mac, chmod'd it and... bad
interpretter error message.  It couldn't even get past the first line.
I created a new script using trusty VI and it worked without a problem.
So my solution was to VI a new file, open the original script in notepad
(or whatever its called) and drag the text to the terminal.  Then i
deleted all of the extra blank lines and also the tabs.  It works a
treat.  I can't remember the VI search and replace syntax for ^M's etc
or the sed syntax either but I got it working regardless.

It seems this discussion was fruitful nonetheless!

cheers,
Novak

Novak Elliott
Warwick Postgraduate Research Fellow
Fluid Dynamics Research Centre
Civil & Mechanical Division
School of Engineering
The University of Warwick
United Kingdom CV4 7AL

>>> Tom Schneider <toms at ncifcrf.gov> 03/23/06 12:27am >>>
Jeff:

> Sounds like a good idea to me! There's some argument to be made for
>
>     #!/usr/bin/env - perl -w
>
> but that's probably overly cautious.
>
>    #!/usr/bin/env perl -w
>
> is probably just fine.

I tried it with -w and it gave these two lines repeatedly:

Use of uninitialized value in numeric eq (==) at
/home/strawberry/toms/ii/script/atchange line 96.

Maybe there is a bug?  8-{

Anyway, I removed the -w and put that out so the 'universal' atchange
is now available from

http://www.ccrnp.ncifcrf.gov/~toms/atchange.html

I moved it from my Sun to my MacBook Pro and it works nicely on both!

Regards,

Tom

  Dr. Thomas D. Schneider
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Center for Cancer Research Nanobiology Program
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms at ncifcrf.gov
  permanent email: toms at alum.mit.edu (use only if first address fails)