[texhax] LaTeX to InDesign

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Mar 21 16:40:52 CET 2006

On Mar 21, 2006, at 10:54 AM, David C. Walden wrote:

> I already have considerable experience with various paths
> from LaTeX to Word (mixes of computer translation, e.g.,
> TTH, and manual editing).  A publisher has again asked
> me to provide a Word file, but his ultimate goal is input
> into InDesign.  Maybe they can copy from pages of a LaTeX
> generated PDF and paste into InDesign, especially if I
> turn off hyphenation in LaTeX so they don't have to deal
> with word breaks at the wrong place in InDesign's line
> folding.  My question for this list is does anyone have
> any special insight about more or less productive paths
> from LaTeX to InDesign.  (PS, I'm not interested in trying
> to educate the publisher about accepting LaTeX input.)

The best thing to do here would be to convert the LaTeX into Adobe
Tagged Text which could then be pulled into InDesign directly. (If
desired you could then convert to a .rtf from InDesign).

This is preferable to using .rtf 'cause then one doesn't have to muck
w/ Word's auto-generated stylenames, and ID's algorithmic stylename
creations (what the rules are for this, don't ask --- I've never
figured it out, it just annoys me a lot) and you can do things like
place graphics &c.

William
(who loathes putting stuff into InDesign 'cause ``the numbering is so
primitive you'll laugh until it hurts'' as the author of one InDesign
book told me, and there're myriad things which TeX or LaTeX can, but
ID can't --- no straddle heads, no pdfliterals, no graphics placed as
part of a paragraph or character style &c,)

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.