[texhax] Organizing A Big LaTeX File

Oleg Katsitadze olegkat at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 09:08:07 CET 2006

On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 02:37:51PM +0800, Leung Ngai-Hang Zachary wrote:
> Is it possible to arrange things in such a way that I only compile those files
> which have changed?

This is usually achieved with make and makefiles.  It works
great with the usual programming languages/file generating
(like EPS->PDF).  But with TeX, writing makefiles can be
quite difficult when you need several passes, e.g., to get
the cross-references right.  In this case, texi2dvi script
which comes with Texinfo can help -- it checks the output
and intermediate files, and runs TeX as many times as needed
(a kind of specialized make for TeX :).

> That I can glue the files together in some way at the
> end?

Not sure what you mean.

HTH,
Oleg