[texhax] BachoTeX 2006: The call for TeX Pearls

Jerzy B. Ludwichowski Jerzy.Ludwichowski at uni.torun.pl
Mon Mar 13 15:21:43 CET 2006

Dear TeXhax-ers,

please find below the call for TeX and TeX related  programming Perls.

We look forward to your contributions!

Jerzy Ludwichowski

        The Call for Pearls
                           for the 14th GUST Conference and Annual Meeting
                                 			BachoTeX 2006
                        April 29th -- May 2nd, 2006, Bachotek (Poland)

The BachoTeX2006 conference team invites to participate in the "Pearls of TeX
Programming" open session during which volunteers present TeX-related tricks
and shorties.

What is wanted:

* short TeX, MetaFont or MetaPost macro/macros (half A4 page or half
a screen at most)

* the code should be generic; potentially understandable by plain-oriented
users

* results need not be useful or serious, but language-specific, tricky,
preferably non-obvious

* obscure oddities, weird TeX behaviour, dirty and risky tricks and traps
are also welcome

* the code should be explainable in a couple of minutes

All pearl-divers and pearl-growers are kindly asked to send the pearl-
candidates to the pearls at gust.org.pl list, where Pawe\l{} Jackowski, our
pearl-collector, is waiting impatiently.

If you yourself have something that fits the bill, please consider. If you
know somebody's work that does, please let us know, we will contact the
person. We await your contributions even if you are unable to attend the
conference. In such a case you are free either to elect one of the
participants to present your work or "leave the proof to the gentle reader"
(cf. e.g. http://www.aurora.edu/mathematics/bhaskara.htm).

Needless to say that all contributions will be published in a separate
section of the conference proceedings. Pearls collected at the BachoTeX2005
conference are available at http://www.gust.org.pl/pearls. The place is worth
a look!

The deadline for submissions is the 7th of April 2006. We will also accept
later submissions, but we might be unable to publish them in the conference
materials.

--
Jerzy B. Ludwichowski
GUST -- The Polish TeX Users Group