[texhax] Problem with amsmath and wasysym

Barbara Beeton bnb at ams.org
Thu Mar 9 15:19:39 CET 2006

hi, zac,

    When I tried to run latex on a file with amsmath and wasysym, I got the
    following error.  I'm not a LaTeX expert, but I did deduce that wasysym
    defines \iint and so does amsmath and they conflict.  How should I solve
    this if I want to include both these files in my document?

first, decide which form of \iint you want to use
(if any).  load the other package first, and then
add the line
  \let\iint\relax
that will make latex think that \iint hasn't been
defined, and when the version you want comes along
in the package you've chosen, the desired \iint
will be defined with no problem.

if you really want to use both, after loading the
first package add the lines
  \let\otheriint\iint
  \let\iint\relax
then you can use \otheriint (you can substitute a
name you like better) and \iint both in suitable
circumstances.
							-- bb
			--------------------

    [deutsixfive at 97-32 statistics]$ latex statistics
    This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.4.5)
    (./statistics.tex
    LaTeX2e <2001/06/01>
    [...]
    (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/wasysym/wasysym.sty))
    [...]
    (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/amsmath/amsmath.sty
    [...]
    ! LaTeX Error: Command \iint already defined.
                   Or name \end... illegal, see p.192 of the manual.

    Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

    l.506 ...d{\iint}{\DOTSI\protect\MultiIntegral{2}}

    ? q
    OK, entering \batchmode[deutsixfive at 97-32 statistics]$