[texhax] interesting two column problem --- alter macro def/placement at top of column

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Thu Jun 15 14:19:02 CEST 2006

Okay, I've got rather interesting requirements for a two-column
minitoc at the beginning of the sections of a journal I'm working on:

- normal layout is first head sits above the two columns, something
like:

[head]
  xxxxx  xxxxx
  xxxxx  xxxxx
  xxxxx  xxxxx
  xxxxx

but if a head is at the top of the second column, it should float up
to match the first:

[head] [head]
  xxxxx  xxxxx
  xxxxx  xxxxx
  xxxxx  xxxxx
  xxxxx

and if there's a lot of text, then the text in the second column
should start flush with the head:

[head] xxxxx
  xxxxx  xxxxx
  xxxxx  xxxxx
  xxxxx  xxxxx
  xxxxx  xxxxx
  xxxxx  xxxxx
  xxxxx  xxxxx
  xxxxx

I'm not seeing anything which would handle this semi-automatically,
so I'm working on a macro set to make it happen. The obvious thing
would be to build the columns in the macro, doing the math to
determine where to break and applying the appropriate changes at that
time, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be more interesting and
generally useful to try to add this as a feature to multicol --- the
typeset .dtx does mention extensions.

So, I guess my questions are:

- did I miss something on CTAN which already does this?
- would it be better to try to work this out as a muticol extension /
add-on or as a separate package?
- If as a separate package any suggestions for a name or more general
description?

Now that I think about it, the obvious thing to try would be to put
everything into raised boxes and set the amount of the raise when
needed for the right-hand column, but I'm having a hard time
envisioning how to get multicol to insert the change only for the
right-hand column.

Has there been any discussion about adding an expansion feature which
only happens after the page is made up and which would then have
access to the vertical position on the page?

Thanks!

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.