[texhax] Math in HTML (was Blogs)

Chris Rowley C.A.Rowley at open.ac.uk
Wed Jul 19 09:41:51 CEST 2006

Victor Ivrii wrote --

> Well, html has rather primitive equation ability, one can display many symbols
> http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/entities/symbols.html
> but alignment is a big problem.

> > So I think the most useful way to reframe the question might be: is
> > anyone aware of a LaTeX to HTML converter that does *not* use images for
> > equations, and if so, how does it work?  As I said, I don't know of one,
> > but others on this list know a lot more than me.
>
> html limitations give you no choice

Our reasonably systematic requirements analysis supports these
conclusions and is the reason why we are unsure that it is worth
putting much effort into representing technical material in HTML.

The more ancient amongst us will recall the 90s near-disaster of
naively adding math elements to the HTML DTD.

So until browsers understand that 21st Century culture will not be
usefully digitised purely via West European text, and hence support a
reasonably large slection of XML vocabularies, we are sticking to PDF,
despite its deficiencies for browsing.

Chris Rowley
Maths Online Project
Open University, UK