[texhax] asterisk before reference list

Dan Hatton vi5u0-texhax at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 7 13:37:54 CEST 2006

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006, Philip G. Ratcliffe wrote:

>> For some reason, the attached .tex file puts an asterisk before the
>> reference list.  The place where I have to submit it is objecting to the
>> asterisk.  Any suggestions?
>
> Without SUGconf.cls it's going to be pretty hard to help.

The standard style seminar.cls, with the inlinebib.sty package, also
adds an asterisk before the reference list.  In this case, it results
from the combination of inlinebib.sty's

\def\thebibliography#1{\chapter*{\bibname\@mkboth
   {\uppercase{\bibname}}{\uppercase{\bibname}}}\bibc at mment
   \small
   \def\newblock{\hskip .11em plus.33em minus.07em}%
   \sloppy\clubpenalty4000\widowpenalty4000
   \sfcode`\.=\@m
   \parindent\z@\relax
   \parskip\medskipamount
}

with seminar.cls not understanding that "\chapter*" means an
un-numbered chapter, and treating it like "\chapter{*}".  Changing the
"\chapter*" to a "\chapter", in inlinebib.sty, makes the problem go
away.

I guess you've got some similar incidence of the document class not
understanding what a bibliography-related package is saying.

--

Regards,

Dan Hatton

<http://www.bib.hatton.btinternet.co.uk/dan/>