[texhax] Images

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Jan 7 00:47:59 CET 2006

  > Now, to this rather FAQ (really, the FAQ linked at the bottom of
  > this posting, I hope, does cover this topic pretty thoroughly):
  > almost any Windogs image editor (even paint) will save a bmp in
  > jpeg format and that's sufficient for pdftex;

I cannot recommend to use jpeg for anything else but photographs
because of its lossy compression algorithm.

It's better to download and install ImgageMagick which can convert
nearly everything to everything.  I personally prefer sam2p but do not
know whether widows ports are available.

  > set up a postscript
  > printer and print to file to create a ps from any application (you
  > may need to manually chop the funny head and tail lines containing
  > control characters fo specific printers).

You can configure the PostScript printer driver to omit the useless
head and tail lines.  I do not have a widows system here and at work
we have the German version anyway, hence I cannot say where exactly
you have to look for in the configuration menu.  But there is an
option which is set to something like "maximum speed" by default.  Set
this to "maximum compatibility" to avoid the useless headers.

Then run

     ps2eps <file>.ps

to get a correct BoundingBox (most programs are not able to provide a
correct one) and then

     epstopdf <file>.eps

if you are using pdflatex.

Regards,