[texhax] Tironian Sign Et

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Mon Feb 13 21:00:56 CET 2006

In the meantime, I had the related problem with "etc.".
Our workaround is $\varphi$, displaying the loop that
is typical for the shorthands in the manuscript.
Your workaround appears fine to me, yet I would
recommend \textit{7}, so it becomes more obvious
that it is not the digit, moreover \textit{7} even has
a closer graphical appearence. [continued ...]

At 15:01 27.09.05, Karl Berry wrote:

>     but you'll still need to find a font which has this symbol which
>     can be used from one of these.
>
>Yes, that's the important point ...

Anyway, even finding the font may not suffice,
additionally it would be needed that the design
of that Tironian Et harmonizes with the font
you use for the rest of the transcription
(that's why I put Peter Wilson, who currently
makes ancient fonts, into the Cc:).
E.g., (that's why I write!) I found that the former
"oldgerm" fonts, now "yfonts", offers an "etc."
symbol -- yet we don't transcribe the manuscript
in fraktur, we do it in roman, so that "etc." symbol
doesn't help much.

Regards,
   Uwe.